In response to increasing concerns about system retrofits and the need to use the 'Right Refrigerant' industry groups from across the globe have come together and issued a formal warning.
The statement warns of the safety risks associated with the use of refrigerants in RAC equipment not specifically designed for their use.
Industry associations from Brazil, China, Europe, North America, Japan, Korea and Canada have come together calling on the service industry to consider "the facts" and to only use refrigerant in equipment where it has been approved by the original equipment manufacturer.
The signatories are equipment manufacturers that represent more than 90 per cent of the world’s heating and cooling equipment which is the cornerstone of modern society, the statement said.
"Recognise that equipment manufacturers choose refrigerants as part of overall equipment design and that the choice of appropriate refrigerant can vary by application. We further understand that appropriate refrigerant choice needs to balance a broad range of issues, including: performance, energy efficiency, safety, longevity of equipment, ease of use, cost,
environmental characteristics, and other attributes," the statement said.
It also called on "governments to work with industry to make the entire HVACR supply chain and the public aware of these cautions and if necessary to regulate and develop enforcement regimes."
The signatories are:
• Brazilian Association of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Heating (ABRAVA)
• Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI)
• Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment Manufacturers Association of Australia
• China Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Industry Association (CRAA)
• The European Partnership for Energy and the Environment (EPEE)
• European Committee of Air-Handling, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment
• Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI)
• The Japan Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Industry Association (JRAIA)
• Korea Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Industry Association (KRAIA)