CCN provides a snapshot of the top five technology trends shaping the data centre market.
1. Robotics and automation will take over data centre monitoring and maintenance. Automation means scheduling, monitoring, maintenance and application delivery can be executed without human intervention.
2. Consumers will increasingly buy data centre solutions utilising a pay-per-use model. The world’s market leaders in servers, storage and hyperconverged infrastructure are fundamentally changing their sales model to enable businesses to buy data centre products in a new way, while at the same time looking to win back market share from public cloud providers
3. Record spending has been driving the data centre market to accommodate massive growth in data. The number of large data centres operated by hyperscale providers like AWS, Microsoft and Google continues to increase. The past year has seen record data centre spending. Microsoft plans to build 50 to 100 new data centres each year including a hyperscale data centre in Malaysia.
4. Data centre cooling today is dominated by sustainable solutions, these include liquid cooling and underwater data centres.
5. There is significant demand for edge computing in 2021 which is being driven by AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and 5G.